Thursday, August 16, 2012

Crafting Along With needle and thREAD

As I have been starting to plan for our beach trip next weekend, I though it would be fun for Bunny to have her own bag. We usually just put all of our stuff together, but with having to pack for an extra person this time, we needed more room.


I was planning to buy some nice thick fabric at Joann's, but the prices seemed very high (or maybe I am very cheap) and I figured I could just use some fabric that I already had in my stash. In my disgust at the high prices, I left the store, completely forgetting to buy the zipper I needed to make the bag. I didn't realize that I had forgotten it until I was home. I was pretty bummed and tried to figure out how in the world to make a duffle bag without a zipper.


After much thought, I began rummaging through my stash. hoping to come across some inspiration. Inspiration appeared in the form of a sweater. It was green, cable knit, 100% wool, and had a zipper right down the middle!  I sorted through the rest of my sweater stash and found two other wool sweaters and a wool scarf that would all go together quite well. I drew up a plan and after scratching it out and rewriting it a few times, I finally came up with an idea I though might work.

I cut out the pieces and sewed them together. Once that was all done, it needed a little zipper pull to make it easier to open (hello unused key ring.) I came up with a little leather heart to add a sweet touch! Last, I  covered  a piece of cardboard, with material from an old tan sheet, to sturdy up the inside bottom and ends.  Project complete!



As for reading.... again I blame this lovely babymoon and have to admit I have only read books to Bunny, and none for myself.   Someday.


13 comments:

  1. Great job (and resourcefulness!) on the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative! And reading to sweet little girls totally counts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I would have totally gone back for the zipper. Kudos for your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, awesome! What a great use for an old sweater for sure. Thank you for sharing at our
    Pinteresting Party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome and inspiring! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this turned out cute! i never would've thought about covering a piece of cardboard for the inside. thanks for linking it up to tip-toe thru tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how wonderful!! It came out so great and how perfect to use the sweater! And you are right about the high prices. I only buy things on sale (40% off or more) or with one of the coupons at Joanns. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great upcycle - and I agree fabric has gotten very expensive (often for stuff that isn't that great). I'm currently attempting to sew my twin boys' fall/winter wardrobe from upcycled materials, it is a fun endeavor! ~Suzanne
    http://winterwonderingswanderingswhatnot.blogspot.com/2012/08/project-0-updates-competitive-nature.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Hannah,
    This is the cutest duffle. I love that you used sweaters. Great idea. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/08/free-bee-sweet-hat-pattern-crocheted.html
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! You did a nice job of incorporating that zipper! I can't tell you how many times I've stormed out of Joanne's mad because of the high prices. They always have a sale on what I want making my coupons worthless! Huff!

    ReplyDelete